Two Top Tips for Balancing Life In Quarantine

There are so many different things happening in the world right (a pandemic, human rights protests), but a lot of us are all still locked up or getting used to the "new normal" post COVID-19. 

I'm a Master's student trying to write my dissertation, locked down in country different than most of my participants. I'm also still trying to blog/blogstagram, educate myself on systemic racism and human rights violations happening in my country, and around the world, and balancing this all with my anxiety. 

So, here are my two top tips that are helping me balance my formal education, informal education, and my own mental health. 

1. Schedule, schedule, schedule 
 
When I have a lot of things happening at one time (virtual or otherwise), I find keeping a daily schedule to be key! During non-lockdown times, I use my Microsoft Outlook email app to track all of my events, to-do's, and social gatherings. 

In pandemic-times, I'm not using Outlook as much, but I have been making my own calendar schedules to see what I need to do for the day, week, month, and to keep track of deadlines. 

For my dissertation, I've traced my own large calendars on large butcher paper, so I can see every little detail. I tick off everyday to watch my progress and deadlines, but I also do everything in pencil so I can edit and change things around if I get behind (which is definitely happening, don't let me fool you). 

For my own personal studies on racism in the United States, I've made a simple table on Word and separated my studies by weekly topic. So, last week's topic to learn about was the relationship between mental health and race, and this week is focused on racism in the United Kingdom. When I finish a week, I go in and input the podcasts, books, and movies/documentaries I watched to track what resources are helpful for me so I can share with others. 

Online you can find calendar templates on Google, too! Websites like Canva have calendar and other templates that are ~cute~ and help you stay scheduled, too! 
 
I literally made this sample Calendar on Canva in five minutes, but there's templates already available, too! 
 
2. Give yourself a break every now and then 

I love keeping schedules to stay on top of things, but I constantly have to remind myself that it's okay to take a break and do something relaxing. Work-life balance is essential always, but the blur between home and office with the pandemic can be a bit stressful. So even though you may feel guilty, try and remind yourself that breaks are okay!

I have SUCH a hard time feeling guilty when I'm not doing something "productive" and it's a really hard thing to get over. So, know you're not alone! 

I've been breaking up my work by setting a playlist, and when the playlist ends, I take a break! 
 
This is just a screenshot of the Spotify "Lo-Fi Beats" Playlist that I listen to while studying sometimes! No words so I can try and focus. This playlist is about three hours, so I would listen, pick some faves, and make your own playlist! 


A quick and simple list, but these are things that are helping me right now! On that note, I have to get back to writing my dissertation. Talk again, most likely (let's be honest), in a few months. 

And, please, remember to wear a mask. Also, #blacklivesmatter. Also, happy PRIDE! 

xoxo
Lisa







Comments

Popular Posts