Working Out (because not every post can be about food)

Working out, for me, is a love-hate relationship. In college, I worked at a yoga studio (Shout out to Yoga Bliss), and would love to go to the school gym after dinner because that's when all the frat boys and athletes would workout, not gonna lie. I also ran on the beach! Amazing, right?! Well now I don't have/do any of those, and I hit a wall. I like to workout because I like to eat WHATEVER I want, whenever I want.  I must say, too, that I have been seriously blessed with some great genetics (shout out mom and dad) so my workout routine is a little more sporadic than most. Because my routines have changed so much though, I thought I would compare, contrast, and share my thoughts on workout classes and types! Here's what I've tried:

[Little disclaimer here: As much as I tried to be, I am not athletic, I'm not fab at sports. I workout two times a week... maybe. I hate cardio, unless it's running outside. Working out makes me feel self-conscious so it's kind of a hit or miss sometimes.]


Yoga
Yoga is the best thing on the face of this Earth. I'm super bias, but I love it so much, there are so many kinds, and it blends mind and body together, which my spiritual little being loves! When I was working at Yoga Bliss and consistently going to class, I got super toned in my arms, my flexibility was incredible, and would always sweat beyond belief. But it also provided me with a comfortable environment, not only where I worked, but where I could feel good about my body, and quiet my mind, too. I always did Vinyasa Flows. I should probably just write an entire post about yoga because I love it so much.

Probably the stretchiest I've ever been thanks to yoga

Photo from a Dublin Blogger event last January! We did yoga then all had brunch! Check out Bloggers Brunch IE if you're in Ireland! 


Orange Theory
I had my first Orange Theory class last month. I thought I would hate it because cardio and endurance are not my jam, but, surprisingly, I liked it! We did two rounds of rowing (with squats in between sets), arm weights, then treadmill. I loved the rowing and have gotten into arm workouts recently, so enjoyed the weights, too. Wasn't crazy about the treadmill bit, but I suppose it was good for me. Overall I enjoyed my class and definitely felt sore the next day, but not too sore. I would looooove if they put the specific workouts online, so I could sign up for a butt day or an ab day (my two favs) rather than showing up and being forced into doing endurance workouts for an hour, yuck.

Soul Cycle
Once upon a time I was an LA girl, and I would go with one of my best friends to Soul Cycle occasionally. Only occasionally because it was expensive, tiring, an always made my knees hurt. I enjoy the dark room with loud music vibes, and the instructors are awesome! But, I don't think cycling is my thing unless I'm sitting on the bike seat and leisurely biking through a nice countryside. Would recommend if you're a masochist (jk) or do not have knee problems like I do (why do I have icky knee? no clue, my knees just hate me.)

Pilates
The best part about the one time I was doing pilates, was that it was for college credit!!!! AND with a bunch of my friends! I took mat pilates my last semester of college (best steal ever), and I was in the best shape I've ever been! It made my core so strong (which was great for spring break), and I actually was able to learn how to properly workout. I've never done reformer pilates, but I found mat pilates to be challenging, with visible results, and also super convenient for time. I love pilates. I need to join a class and get washboard abs asap.

Pilates benefits proof right here. Ft: Morgan, as usual. Circa Cabo 2017.

Barre
Here's my story about Barre: I flew home to CO from Los Angeles and the next day took my first barre class with my mom. 1) the altitude hit me and I thought I was going to die, 2) my mother used to be a ballerina so she excelling far beyond belief and I truly was working hard just to not pass out. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it. The ballet techniques made me workout places I never had before, but they were fun. It was super challenging, but I felt really strong after. Plus, I just took my first barre class in London, and now, two days later, my entire body is still very sore and hurty... but in a good way I suppose. I took a Barre Signature class at Barre Core and the instructors and facilities were amazing!

Barre Core in Chelsea! 

An Added Bonus I'll include: sometimes I like to workout at home so I'll google a yoga routine, or a I'll find an instagram girl with a quick ab workout. I also love to do Katie Austin's youtube and IGTV (@katieaustin) workouts!

Hopefully you found this blog interesting, and maybe it even motivated you to workout. Personally, I'm just sitting in bed. Maybe I'll run through the park tomorrow... maybe not. If you're in London, comment your fave workout classes below!

xoxo
Lisa



Comments

Popular Posts