Avocado Spinach Brownies!?

In today's blog, I will be walking you through the process of making semi-healthy avocado, spinach, brownie bites! The OG recipe and video is from Proper Tasty on Instagram (LINK HERE) but I added a few bits and will ~also~ give you my review. This recipe makes about 30 bites (enough for a small army), so perhaps half what I have below if you wish to not have extras going stale for weeks like I usually do.
(The Final Product)

Recipe: 
(dry ingredients)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder

(wet ingredients)
1 avocado
1 banana
2 cups spinach
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla

- As many chocolate chips as your heart desires
- I (and by I mean my mom and I) added some espresso powder and Irish cream flavoring to taste, once the dry and wets were combined.

The Proces:

Alright y'all, first things first, combine your dry ingredients into a large bowl (all of the other ingredients will be added to this bowl.)


She will look something like this:


Next up, put all your wets into a blender (or idk food processor? whatever you have I guess.) Blend that shit up until it looks like a really thick green smoothie you force yourself to drink to be "healthy." You'll most likely have to push it along and use a rubber scrap to push some leaves down at some point, but PUHLEASE make sure it's turned off. What setting should you use? Literally no clue, I don't really give a shit, whichever one gets the job done.


Doesn't it look so appetizing!? This is before the spinaj was added (not a typo I like to spell Spinach like Spinaj like Nikki Minaj.)

(This one kinda does - Def would drink without being dared.)

Now... you guessed it -- combine the dry and the wet into the big bowl! Really difficult stuff to comprehend, if you ask me. Now you can add the fun/best bits! The chocolate chips, and optional espresso powder, Irish cream, or get fancyyyy and add something else. Almond flavor, Bailey's, and Kahlua, all sound like fun options. Do what you want though, except maybe not like hot sauce because ew. All of these we added by eye or by taste. AKA a TON of chocolate chips and just a little bit of espresso and Irish cream.)

(Here's the before stirring, the after stirring looks really icky :) )
If you're like me, you forgot to preheat the oven while prepping.

The oven should be set to 350 degrees F. I don't know how to spell Fahrenheit (sp?).

Get out some normal sized muffin/cupcake trays and line them with those cut cupcake liners OR use a silicone based tray thing. Mine were heart-shaped, the hearts came out looking like anything but a heart.

I used one of those weird meloning circley scooper things. It's not mine, I borrowed it, therefore, I have no clue what its called. Scoop a scoop into your tins. If you do not have a scoop thing, use about a tablespoon. The final product doesn't explode a ton like other desserts, so no minimal worries if you fill them up a ton (in that case though, I have no clue how long they cook, so you're free-styling that bit, Godspeed.)
(scooping the shit outta that batter)

(lil cuties when they're in their temporary homes)

Leave those babies in the oven for about 20 minutes. Put a fork or stick (a legit stick, from the woods, not a toothpick, that's just obvious) into the brownies things and make sure it comes out not sticky.

There ARE raw eggs in this batter. That means that if you're normal, you don't actually give a shit about eating raw egg and while be perfectly happy with something undercooked. However, if you're uptight about Salmonella, then yeah make sure these pups are baked through.

Take them out after they're good to go and cool, unless you're a masocist and want to burn your mouth/esophagus.
(Gorgeous final product)

Now onto my review:
My favorite thing about recipe blogs is that I heavily relate to that meme about blog moms who babble about their kids/family/neighborhood gossip/dogs before actually giving you the recipe. I tried not to do that, which means that now I 'm going to babble and provide you with too much info.

If you know me whatsoever, then you know that I'm a foodie in the sense that I love and appreciate good food, but also love and appreciate McDonald's. Healthy food is something I always try to get into and make, but God I jsut love butter and carbs and pasta and processed food so much. Hence, when my mother was like, "Let's make avocado, spinach, brownies!" I was hesitant. Honestly, I was in it for the content and the mockery.

(A fabulous avocado, spinach, brownie, tower.)

BUT, these things (idk what to properly call them) aren't tooooo bad. They definitely don't taste as luxurious as a real brownie, but they still gave me a nice chocolate fix. What I really loved is that we were able to use up a bunch of produce that was well on its way of becoming compost in our backyard. The texture is like a squishy bread, cake too, so nothing slimey or gross or chunky. Our additions of espresso and Irish cream didn't make a huge impression because we didn't add enough, Mary Berry would, sadly, not be proud, so be aware to maybe do a taste test when adding any extras!

I hope you enjoyed this lifestyle post about weird innovative fake brownies, that seem to be healthier than a normal brownie, but completely healthy (let's be real.) If you actually make this recipe, lemme know and comment. If you add something, definitely comment below.

I love you
xoxo
Lisa











Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts