Irish Wisdom and Slang

It's been a bit over a month since I got home, AND it's Paddy's Day. Safe to say I'm feeling a bit blue about not being in Ireland right now. That being said, however, I am extremely happy to not be paying rent, being surrounded by family, and adapting back to a normal schedule of waking up at 8 AM and going to bed at 10 PM, rather than waking up at 2 PM and going to bed at 4 AM (I worked nights, okay, this is a judgment-free zone.)

(Dublin, Ireland)

(My last picture in Dublin! On the Ha'Penny Bridge)

Last year at this time, I was working a double-shit (lol yay on St. Patrick's Day.) But I was with the friends I had made and so it was fine. And then we finally got out of work around 2 AM and headed to the bars. Me and all of my coworkers and bosses. The silver-lining though was that I was surrounded by a bunch of Irish friends the whole day opposed to a bunch of tourists. We were also able to walk through Temple Bar at a normal pace instead of clawing our way through crowds since it was so late. Fabulous memories.

(St. Patrick's Day, 2018)

(The late night bar bathroom on Paddy's Day [approx. 3 AM] giving some wisdom)

As I've come home, I've been able to reflect on my time in Dublin, and even though it's ended, I still get so buzzed at the fact that I picked up and moved to a different country where I knew no one and not only survived, but thrived one-million percent.

(River Liffey)

If this blog teaches you anything let it be this: don't be afraid of picking up and making a huge change if it is what will make you happy.
It won't be easy or completely melt-down free, but it is an extremely beneficial action of growth that will transform you. That's it, that's my profound wisdom.

(Me + Lamb)

(My whole heart)

Onto some of my favorite Irish slang. The Irish have their own language, if you didn't know, but more importantly, they have their own amazing slang. Here some bits I find fabulous:

- Grand: similar to cool or great. Used for just about anything.
- Scarlet: being really embarrassed. This one is really cute.
- Deadly: similar to the Brits brilliant. Example "those shoes are deadly" "this pint is deadly"
- Kip: a dump of a place
- Manky: icky
- Ending any sentence with 'Like': it just happens, grammatically I can't explain
- Gee: vagina. hahahahahah
- Pre Drinks: same as Pre Game

(Blarney Castle)

(The Old Long Walk [like from the song] in Galway)

I'd say this is my wisest post, yet. Everyone please drink a pint today, but please do it responsibly.

xoxo
Lisa















Comments

Popular Posts