Pumped about Pumpkin

When my mom came to visit me in early November, she asked me if I wanted anything. Other than the normal things (6 pounds of Kraft mac n cheese, and a pair of shoes I left at home) I requested cans on pumpkin, this time around. For all the other basic bitches out there, this request is obvious. For everyone else, it's fall (aka "cuffing season") I needed to bake and cuddle and feel home-y. So my fabulous mother brought me cans of pumpkin when I couldn't find ANY in Dublin.

(Three weeks after she gave me the pumpkin, I inevitably found some in a store I had already checked twice.)

I originally thought that pumpkin bread would be a good choice for my baking because I loooove pumpkin bread. Then I realized I didn't have a bread tin and I've never actually made it before... but I have made pumpkin cookies and I do have a baking tray.

Alas, I make the cookies. And, of course, because I'm baking for my Irish friends who I said "oh yum pumpkin cookies are sooo good" to, the cookies turn out to be terrible. Why?! Literally no idea. I'm blaming it on something Irish-y though, because I followed the recipe and this has never happened before.

Back to square one, I find a recipe with all the ingredients I already have but to make pumpkin bars. This recipe says they come out dense (which is how my cookies were...) so I figured this seemed like a safe bet. I found this recipe online: https://showmetheyummy.com/easy-pumpkin-bars-recipe/

This time around I make the pumpkin bars alone. I hate cooking under pressure. For anyone that knows me, they know I pretty much refuse to cook for others because it pulls a deep anxious cord somewhere in my being for no particular reason (there's probably lots of deep psychological reasons.)

Picture of the final product because I just couldn't help myself and my not so humble brag.

The prep seemed to go well, and the kitchen smelled fab. Once they were out of the oven, the taste test was my next daunting task. (I wouldn't want to butter up my landlord for the holidays with shit tasting pumpkin bars.)
(Hot and fresh out the oven with fork holes to make sure I'm not giving my house-mates salmonella :)

Because I am impatient, I cut the bars before they are completely cool. Here are some observations: it seems more like a cake (I'm not mad), and because I cut it early there's a tiny little bit I can eat (yay).

Hot and Ugly

It tastes good. I'll tell my landlord it's healthy-non-gmo-sugarless pumpkin cake so she thinks I'm healthy, responsible, and a good baker.

Unfortunately, I still didn't let it cool enough and it looks ugly. But I quickly cut it all into small pieces to "save space" aka hide the ugly.

Don't worry these aren't the "good" looking ones. (But shoutout to my "yes" sticker on my comp. Women's Rights Rock!)

I put on the white chocolate, a variation I made because I didn't feel like making icing, and throw on some dark chocolate chips, because I thought I would have to mask the gross taste if I messed up the cake. Overall, it looks decent. If I had more time and wasn't nervous about my roommates thinking I was weird, the pics would be staged, but alas I am nervous and didn't want any small talk about why I was taking pictures on my Canon of a mediocre looking piece of cake in bad lighting and with 6 backdrops.

Pre-melted white chocolate

I am very happy to have finally made my fall-themed treats, just in time for Christmas and the winter equinox. Perhaps, my New Year resolution will be to procrastinate less and do things more on time.

I would recommend the Show Me The Yummy site, big fan.
Thank you for following along on my first baking post, maybe this'll be the one that makes me famous.
Check out my insta @LisaGoingPlaces to see updates on if my landlord is successfully buttered up from my pumpkin cake.

xoxo
Lisa




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts