Travel Guilt

Traveler's Guilt is a feeling (that maybe I invented, idk, I'm calling dibs on it now) when you're in a new place and you feel as if you need to go out every second of every day in order to really soak in the new place, but also you're tired and really want to relax, then you end up feeling guilty that you're not adventuring well enough. 

It's a shit feeling and I feel it all the time. This last weekend I didn't have work and I wasn't able to plan a trip outside of Ireland because it was too last minute. I was thinking of taking a day trip in Ireland. I ended up not going on a day trip because I made plans with a friend for that night instead. That's when the guilt hit. I started getting worried that I wasn't exploring as much as I should be. Even when I have afternoons off I get anxious that I should be out walking around the city. 

In my particular situation, I always have to remind myself that 1) I'm not just visiting, I actually live here now and 2) my own personal relaxation is just as important as the adventures I want to take. I won't have the energy to take adventures if I don't take care of my mind, body, and soul too. 

Traveler's Guilt is basically just a load of bullshit. If you want to sleep in and not do something in the morning, just do it. If you want to skip out on a touristy thing because it's kind of lame, definitely just skip it. Relaxation is important, people. 

If you have guilt about your travels and adventures/lack of, like me, just remind yourself that you're super lucky to be traveling and exploring in the first place, so you can't really go wrong from there. 

(Here are some pics from the Dingle Peninsula, a time when I did actually travel around Ireland)

(It's pretty AF, def visit)

(Me, not feeling guilty)

(A cute picture of an alley. This alley isn't full of urine and drunk people, unlike the alley that leads to my apartment entrance.)


xoxo,
Lisa

Comments

Popular Posts