Emma the biyatch

I'm super excited to write this blog post because I've been stuck inside all day and have nothing else to do!!! Just kidding, I could be doing laundry. For those of you not aware the UK and Ireland are currently getting hit by a phat snowstorm called Storm Emma, as well as some cold arctic wind known as the Beast of the East. Apparently, in Dublin, a snowstorm means shutting down the entire city, hence why I am stuck inside. Not just, "hey drive careful, maybe don't go out," kind of shutting down, but, "everyone close your establishments and start hoarding bread and divvying up rations," kind of shutting down. It's the most insane overreaction I have seen in a while. Sure, I'm from Colorado where the few inches of snow we got here would've been nothing, so I'm a tad prissy when it comes to weather, but still.

So far, one of my favorites encounters from this storm was when my sweet, sweet and old taxi driver told me that, "Emma is such a bitch!" I love the people here, they're so great and funny all the time.

(Grafton Street with snow at night)

Just some highlights of Emma:
- On Monday I went to Tesco for milk, which they did have, but I also noticed that the entire bread shelf was completely cleared. I wasn't kidding when I said people started hoarding bread.
- Even better, someone showed me a picture today of a Tesco last night, and not only was all the bread cleared out, but so was the meat section, the cereal, and, of course, the cadbury chocolate shelves.
- Yesterday I took a bus tour to Cork and the Blarney Castle. It took 2 hours to get out of County Dublin... one of the smallest counties in Ireland that should've taken about 30 minutes to get out of :)
- It took a few more hours in whiteout conditions to reach County Cork (God Bless our driver, Patrick) and once we got there, there was barely any snow and the sun was shining. Ireland is only the size of Indiana and one side half on the country was in a whiteout and the other half were complaining about the slight breeze. This place is crazy.

(View from Blarney Castle of sunny skies while it was snowing in Dublin)

As hilarious as this place is being about the snow though, I do have to say it's very pretty. Last night I thought I was going to have to walk home a few miles (which for me would've been fine bc Colorado) because literally every taxi in Dublin was taken. So I was walking down Grafton which is usually extrememly packed and hectic, but it was so empty and the snow was so beautiful and I loved it (pictured first). Shortly after I did find my infamous "Emma is a bitch!" taxi driver, so I didn't walk the rest of the way home. But, I did take a short stroll around my neighborhood today. Wowza, was that pretty. The best part was when my phone died and I couldn't take any pictures of all the gorgeous snow covered Georgian houses :) but hey at least I knew my way home and didn't get frostbite/slip.

(One of the two pictures I did take on my walk)

(The second picture I took. It's Aviva Stadium the Ireland Rugby Football Union stadium! I love it and it is very close to my home.)

As I mentioned before, majority of the businesses in Dublin were closed for the day. Luckily, for me, my local pub refuses to close, so I will have a source of food and beer the next few days even if I do run out of bread.

Xoxo,
Lisa


Comments

Popular Posts