Milano - not the cookie the city

Ciao my friends!

Today's blog post will be focusing on the first city I explored in Italy, Milan! I knew I would like Milan from the moment I stepped out of the plane. Why? Because there was an INSANE sunset that greeted us upon arrival. Definitely in my Top 5 List of Sunsets. That's really saying something (see below).

S/O @easyjet

Milan is made up of nine zones, but the main city center and historical things are all in zone one, where we stayed. Our Airbnb was so cute and on one of the main streets in Milan. The building the Airbnb was situated in was also super cool -- picture in your mind those huge, wooden doors that are in the streets of European cities and imagine what it looks like inside and that was our Airbnb.

A beautiful (lopsided) picture looking out on Corso Venezia where our Airbnb was located

The city itself is pretty quiet. There are definitely things to do there, but the more urban setting and heavy business focus means there are less historical look-sees and other tourist things. Also, the whole fashionista mentality of the city is huge, so if you're super into brand names then maybe Milan is more exuberant for you. But I only pretend to be a fashionista, so seeing a Dolce & Gabbana (sp?? lol see) on every corner wasn't that crazy for me. Also, DG is getting into some really interesting trends at the moment that I'm not sure I support. Lots of child-like doodles on shoes. Idk, once again not a huge fashionista.

A picture of me in the mirror display of some fancy brand name store (probably one of the 600 Dolce and Gabbanas) not caring about the clothes being presented, but rather myself. Please note: mother and I walked down an "alley" expecting it to be a bunch of apartments... wrong it was practically Rodeo Drive.

What I did love about the city was the safety and luxury that you feel literally everywhere you go. I never felt unsafe and the booming economy really does mean the city center is a very nice (and expensive) place to be. Also, duh, the food there is incredible. But it's Italy so I don't think there's anywhere where that statement doesn't apply.

No idea what this is, but it's cute, sorry.

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, right next to the Duomo. Super pretty because of the window roof, also includes a Prada and Louis Vitton. 

My mom/bff/travel partner and I ended going to the same restaurant almost every night we were in Milan. Why? Becuase it was so delicious and they started giving us free Limoncello. Best pizza I have ever had in my life, also (plus it was shaped into a heart... because the waiters loved us.)

Rosy E Gabriele where we ate most nights. Heart shaped pizzas only for the very important and very chic aka us.

The Duomo in ~Milano~ was my absolute favorite thing about this place though. It's stunning from the outside and huge, but the real kicker is the rooftop exploration and views. If you buy a duomo ticket you can walk up the stairs or take the elevator to the roof and literally walk on top of the Duomo. It's architecturally stunning, the views are amazing, and being on the roof is just an incredible feeling.

A slightly awkward picture of me trying to pose outside of the Duomo.

The roof of the Duomo!!! So sick. (ft. mom)

Milan was a great first city to experience in Italy. We were able to get accommodated with the language barrier and explore without being too overwhelmed. I saw pictures of a shit ton of Christmas trees all over the place on Instagram recently, and now I am wishing I was back in Milano for the holidays.

Ciao, ciao (that's how people say bye in Italy),
Lisa


Comments

Popular Posts