Life Update!

My post-graduate plans have taken a little bit of a 180 turn, that I feel is necessary to explain (also that will be easier to write here instead of telling like 50 people the same thing over and over). This change in events is more of a 90-degree turn than a 180, actually, let me explain.

For the last six or so months I have been set on moving to Italy to teach English as a foreign language. I even visited the country to get a feel for the cities I would potentially be living in (but really this trip was a graduation present, just saying, s/o to dad). I fell in love with Italy and was really excited to move there... the only thing I wasn't excited about was the whole visa situation. Getting a visa is really confusing and really hard and really expensive. I had planned to enroll in Italian courses through a language school (that would also help me find housing and job opportunities, so this sounded like a dream - sidenote) in order to get my visa. They told me the visa process was easy and they took care of everything and I was like, "Oh perfect, this is so chill because I'm so lazy and hate doing difficult things."

So, then I come home and need to almost immediately enroll in these courses because actually applying and getting the visa could take a while and I was prepped to leave asap in January. Long story short -- this visa was confusing AF. What the school said and what the application and visa websites said was different. Naturally, my parents and I were like WTF and immediately starting research what the heck I needed to do.

By a probably not so coincidental turn of events, while researching the visa situation for Italy, I came across the Holiday Visa Agreement that Australia and New Zealand have with the EU. Basically, citizens under 30 can obtain a work visa and go work in Europe for two years completely legally. Super great, I love it, what I don't love is that I am not Australian and can't get this visa.

OH WAIT.

Upon further research, I discovered the Holiday Visa Agreement between the US and Ireland! A completely legal work visa that is valid for one year. Soooo.... you know what that means?!?! I'm going to Ireland, people.

Do you see how it's more of a 90-degree turn now? Still leaving the country and avoiding the whole "career" thing for a while, but going somewhere completely different than what was expected and not necessarily teaching anymore.

This opportunity also really excited because it means I'll be able to really work while living abroad! Had I been moving to Italy, I would have had commitments to language classes, teaching English, and participating in internships. That's kind of a lot to handle, and also sounds a lot like my senior year of college, which is not necessarily what I was really desiring. Now, I can work, make money, and not have to worry about the classes/internships that I was participating in mainly just to get a visa.

There is my update! Sorry I like ramble (I'm not sorry). Thanks for reading. If you find yourself in Ireland from January 2018-2019, hit me up. Sleep on my couch (if I have one).

Me and my super cute/great/supportive mother/bff celebrating the fact that I'm not a criminal and Ireland will let me work in their country!

Comments

Popular Posts