Game of Thrones Pop-Up Bar (AKA a Life Changing Experience)

Recently I visited the greater Washington D.C. area to visit my brother. While there, I finally finished my summer long goal of binge watching Game of Thrones. I don't have a lot of summer goals, but it's become very obvious that finishing GOT will be the only goal I will be completing this summer. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I jumped on the GOT bandwagon extremely late and thought I wouldn't be interested enough to get hooked. Wrong. I'm obsessed. So I've been binging and dreaming about Khal Drogo ever since June.


I experienced a deep and spiritual act of the Universe while in D.C. when I just so happened to click on a click bait article on Facebook. It led me to a site about the Game of Thrones Pop-Up Bar. "Wow, this is pretty friggin legit," I thought. I continued to scroll and I saw it. The location of the bar was in Washington D.C. I loudly and enthusiastically announced my findings with my brother, then realized that the Universe aligned and going to this bar was my ultimate duty while visiting my nation's capital. I kid you not, my discovery felt that a miracle.

We went the next day (Tuesday) at 4:30 PM, half an hour before opening. The line already had about 50 people in it. We only had to wait 35 minutes to get in, which is a miracle in itself because some people I talked to had to wait 3 hours (!!!!????). I don't have that kind of patience, I was very blessed (and planned extremely well in my anticipation). A "Knights Watch" worker came to us in line and signed us up to sit on the Iron Throne, then we entered the PUB (Pop-Up Bar).

The actual bar is comprised of three rooms. The first room had the Weirwood tree draping over like a canopy, complete with a three-eyed-raven (lol). Here, we ordered the "Milk of the Poppy" and "Dothraquiri" drinks. Honestly, I have no idea what was in these because I was way too hyped about being inside and looking at the menu. I did not order based on flavors, I ordered based on the name of the drink and/or the cup it came in, like a true millennial woman. The drinks were delicious though.



Then we made our way into the second room, the House of Black and White. The drinks were the same, but molds of the faces of the workers covered the walls, just like the actual house, except no one was actually dead! Also, the bartender in this room was wearing one of those chain Knight head cover things and tons of fur, so the atmosphere was a little bit more ~authentic~. There was also a mini annex bar after these two rooms that had dragons, but it was packed with dragon lovers so we didn't elbow our way in.

Left: Milk of the Poppy (This one didn't put us to sleep though... ha.haha)
Right: Dothraquiri (Dothraki Daquiri... get it?)


Finally, we made it to the Red Keep where the Iron Throne was located along with the banners of all the houses in the series. Here, we ordered, "The North Remembers" and the "Shame" drinks. The North Remembers was delicious and came in a mug that looked like a horn. The Shame provided a delightful experience of having a bell rang throughout the entire bar so that the other patrons and bartenders could all scream "Shame, shame, shame!!!!!!" at you. It really made me feel like Cersei except for all of the nudity and incest! (Oops spoiler sorry)


Thank the 7 Gods, old and new, I clicked on that Facebook ad because was this was one of the most fun bars I have ever been to. Quick tips: go on a weekday when there are less people, getting there before it opens may mean you won't have to wait in line for too long, start a tab so you can move freely from room to room, dress up because I didn't and I regret it (although not a lot of people were, much to my disappointment), it closes August 27 so get there soon!

10/10 recommend

Game of Thrones Pop-Up Bar Website for more Info: https://popupbardc.com/about/


Comments

Popular Posts