Bike Etiquette (?!) in D.C.

During my trip to D.C. I had the chance to rent a bicycle and bike from Bethesda, Maryland, to Georgetown, around the National Monuments, (briefly to Virginia), and back. It was a really nice bike ride to the small towns and a unique way to experience the Lincoln and Washington Memorial, so that's pretty sick. What I especially loved was how much I learned about my lack of biking skills and how unfathomably sore your sits bones will become during the four-hour round-trip bike ride!!!


I enjoy biking, I truly do, but I don't think it likes me back. My first indicator was that there is a certain etiquette to biking that I didn't quite grasp. When you pass someone, you need to inform them.  You could say "Passing" or "Left" or a phrase that communicates you need the slow person to get the fuck out of your way. My pacifist attitude and superpower to be too nice during any given situation means that the slightly confrontational act of yelling at someone to move was not my cup of tea.

Why say the simple word "left" when you could stutter on your words and utter the whole phrase, "Hey sir, I'm coming up pretty soon on your left if you don't mind scootching over a bit for me, sorry, thank you, I appreciate it," every time you get close to passing someone. Eventually, on the way back, I got a little bit better, but for the most part my brother had to take lead because we were getting just about nowhere. However, I never crashed, I did not cause any crashes, and no one screamed any curse words at me (that I know of) for messing up the biker's etiquette in any way.

(Georgetown)

So, yes, I would suggest biking around the greater D.C. area. But, keep in my mind etiquette is very important, and you may feel silly if you sweat a ton in the 80-degree weather with 52% humidity because, apparently, native citizens of D.C. don't have sweat glands and are somehow dry and perfect even when riding their bike for miles and miles and miles. Also, invest in a butt cushion unless you want to briefly cry when you get off your bike and have to walk in public. The good news is you can reward yourself with a glass of pinot grigio afterward for all your hard work.


Not Pictured (but recommended): a photo-op in Georgetown at the scary staircase where the Exorcist was filmed! Also, Julia Child's house if you like "The Joy of Cooking".

Comments

Popular Posts